October 25, 2009

Adrenaline rush

Well, now this little redhead has a sunburn... thank you, beach town. Ouch. And only on the back half of my body... thank goodness I brought aloe vera!

Surfing went fantastically. Well. It went better than it ever did in Biarritz on the France trip, and the instructor said I did really well for a beginner. I stood up almost every time and managed to ride a bunch of waves... amaaaazing feeling. It made up for the salt and sunscreen in my eyes, the exhaustion from hitting the club the night before and totally made up for the times I just couldn't manage to stand on that board... you get so annoyed, and feel so dumb, and then you get up, you finally find that balance and OH MY GOD it worked! Exhilaration.

But it gets better.

Yesterday, Saturday, I went paragliding for the first time. It will not be the last time, let me tell you that. Iquique has one of the best sites for paragliding in the world, stemming from the warm ocean breezes and the fact that it NEVER rains here. No exaggeration. Literally never. Here, you can paraglide every day, no matter what.

It's hard to really describe the feeling of riding on the wind, weightless, adrenaline pumping, strapped to a funny little Chilean guy. Exhilaration might be the word for the second time today... so wild. It was so gentle and slow, feet dangling around, you feel so vulnerable. We flew along the hills that push Iquique against the ocean, over the sand dunes, over part of town and then landed on the beach. I didn't get motion sickness at all, which was great, and I got some fantastic pictures.  And yes, Mom, I wore a helmet. I also got to wear a jumpsuit, which is an awesome thing in itself.

Tonight I am catching a night bus to San Pedro de Atacama, a desert town near the Bolivian border. I´ll be there for maybe one night, and then I´m going to find a three day tour through the salt flats into Bolivia.

I am once more amending the trip plan... tragically, the pampas tour into the jungle of northern Bolivia is not going to happen. If I could be sure I could get in and out in three or four days, it would be perfect... however, while it might take a few days, it might take a week and a half, being Bolivia, so it won´t work. I will just have to come back to south america to see the rain forest.

It´s so hard for me to believe that it´s already been almost two weeks, and that three weeks from tomorrow I fly home.

Hope everyone is well, I miss you all.

S.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah this sounds like a totally wild trip! I am so jealous!
    Have a blast chicky, drink a beer or two for me and take lots of pics to show me when you get back!
    Send us a postcard from somewhere awesome! Addy will be on FB...
    Love you much!

    KW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't hate on the France trip surfing... it was fantastic. Honestly though, surfing in France was perhaps the most fun I have ever had doing anything for two days straight so I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to actually stand up. I am proud of you. You will have teach me once we are on the beaches of Och Aye Land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little delayed in reading this but it is amazing. Mark and I tried to go surfing in Biarritz but it ended up there was a mighty storm that day the worst of the season. Shut down the beaches due to sewage runoff. Still a gorgeous place. Next time. Did you go to Irun as well?

    ReplyDelete