October 29, 2009

Adios, Chile.

I am going to do this in two posts, one to wrap up my Chile experience, one to start up Bolivia.

So I would like to add to my last post... I ranted about the sexism rampant throughout Chile, but I neglected to add that while cat calls are constant and frustrating, the people in Chile, as a pretty general rule, are fantastic.

I felt safer in every Chilean city than I ever imagined I would, and the people I've met have been incredibly friendly and helpful. Whether I´m asking for directions, clarification as to the buses or where you buy a postcard in Santiago (more difficult than you think!) people go way out of their way to make sure I can accomplish what I need. They have been patient with my inadequate, halting Spanish, correcting me and trying to speak English back to me to make things easier.

In fact, I have noticed that when I approach someone and try to ask a question, I get the impression that they are almost embarrassed that they can´t speak MY language... which is ridiculous, given that I am the one visiting. You´d never find this attitude in North America... if you don´t speak English there, you´d better be able to communicate in hand gestures. But here, at least in Chile, people went incredibly out of their own way to facilitate at least basic communication.

And my Spanish is getting much better, gradually. I learn dozens of new words and new uses for words every day and I am understanding far more. I still have trouble with basic things sometimes, but usually I can make myself at least mostly understood. Thank goodness.

The other thing I´d like to comment on is the Chilean bus system. It´s infinitely better than I expected it to be. In fact, it´s better than the Canadian system by far. The buses are punctual and frequent, they give you juice boxes and cookies, and it´s incredibly cheap. It allows the country to rely on the bus even for longer trips, whereas in Canada, if you have the money, you wouldn't think twice about taking a plane, or at least a train.

Now that I am in Bolivia, we´ll see how it goes. I've heard some horror stories about the buses. (just kidding mom, it´s okay... haha.)

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment