November 16, 2009

Lima

Over and over again during this trip, I´ve heard negative things about Lima. It´s boring. It´s unsafe and congested.

The areas outside the touristy hotspots - Barranco and Miraflores - absolutely are congested, impoverished and unsafe for tourists. But in those safe zones, where the beautiful houses are protected by big iron gates, is a beautiful, funky town. The restaurants and bars are alive at night, there are people on the streets.

Walking around, I feel far less safe here than I did in other cities, even in Peru. Cusco felt safe, even when I wandered out of the old city and into the real city (in the daytime, but still.) Arequipa I didn´t spend much time in, but downtown felt safe. Lima doesn´t feel like I´ll get hurt, but it does feel like there´s always someone with an eye on my purse. One of the girls in my hostel had a wallet and an iPod stolen from her backpack the other day... you have to be vigilent, and I´ve learned it´s okay to be a little bit paranoid. There´s a difference between watching your own back and being a spaz case, and when you´re all alone in these cities, you have to know what´s going on.

Safety lesson over.

So while Lima hasn´t entirely stolen my heart, it has its good points. The neighbourhoods of Barranco and Miraflores are both perched on ocean-side cliffs , watching as the sea slams against the rocky beaches. Each area has its own feeling, its own vibe, its own beauty. It´s a neat city. I like it.

And I only have one more day to enjoy it, and I´m out of here... my flight leaves early tomorrow morning, so I have to pretend it leaves tonight lest I miss a flight (no comments please... hahaah... eek). And by this time tomorrow, I will be back on Canadian soil. I´m stoked and heartbroken at the same time.

s.

2 comments:

  1. Heyyy Sarah :) Im glad to read that you didnt have anything stolen or nobody tried to mug you!! I dont think i could get dan to fly there with me to get ur stuff back hahaha :P Im kinda jelous .. From what ive read anyway youve had an amazing time and it soounds sooo like information filleddd hah i was at a loss for words .. lmao Thanks for remembering the post card i was verrry happy to see it come :) It doesnt look like anyone else from locals has been writing to you... Fuckers lol Well anyways im in class should be paying attention but I decided to check ur blog and read up on your latest adventures :) Glad to see you made it through your trip safe and that you'll be home soon !! Gotta get together when you get back and you can tell me alll about it ,. unfortunately i havent heard from dan lol hopefully hes still ok haha :P Anyways ..have a safe trip home and call me when ya get back and we'll get together :) Talk to ya sooon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job on catching the plane. we're learning. haha

    ReplyDelete